leafygreens wrote:
> I'm interested in how well the synchronization feature works on real
> SB's vs. the software Squeezelite solution.
As long as your network is solid, sync'ing with real SBs is spot on.
With software players such as Squeezelite the results are less certain,
for the reasons Mnyb gave.  In my experience with software players I've
had some drifting out of sync, but nothing like the re-adjustment every
10-20 seconds that you are getting. I'm not sure if that's a network
issue for you or a problem with a server that is only borderline.  256
MB RAM is cutting it close, although I would it should be able to handle
two sync'd players.

leafygreens wrote:
> Besides sync, how do the systems differ in protocol level sound quality.
> Airplay claims to be lossless.  What about the Squeeze protocol?  You
> can adjust the quality on the server side, but if you set it to the best
> option, is that zero compression?  Is it just as good as the source
> material?
You really should distinguish between lossless and compression, because
the two are not mutually exclusive. Apple Lossless and FLAC are both
lossless compressed formats. MP3, on the other hand, is lossy
compression, and WAV and AIFF are uncompressed lossless. The sound
quality of all lossless formats should be equivalent, with or without
compression (although there is a crowd that insists that the CPU load of
uncompressing FLAC or ALAC diminishes sound quality).

With SB, if you give it lossless material it will play losslessly as
long as you haven't set the server to use bitrate limiting. I am fairly
certain that applies to Squeezelite as well as the hardware players.

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it, and it's '100% wind
powered' (http://www.cleancurrents.com/). 'MSI single-core Atom
mini-desktop'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032)
('Debian' (http://www.debian.org/) Squeeze 6.0.x) feeding: Living room:
'SB Touch'
(http://www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/logitech_squeezebox_touch_network_music_player/index.html)
(http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier?products/hifi-amplifiers/C325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier)
> 'Vandersteen 1' (http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html);
Kitchen/Dining: 'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
(http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio/rci/index.php?s=rc60i); Basement:
'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
> 'JVC JA-S44'
(http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204813) > 'ESS
Tempest LS8'
(http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/205237-ess_tempest_ls_8_speakers/);
Bedroom: 'SB Radio'
(http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audio-receivers-dars/logitech-squeezebox-radio-black/4505-6470_7-33770452.html);
Study: 'Squeezelite local player'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97046-Announce-Squeezelite-a-small-headless-squeezeplay-emulator-for-linux-(alsa-only)&highlight=squeezelite)
> 'Klipsch ProMedia 2.0'
(http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-ultra-2-0-computer-speaker-system);
Backyard deck: 'SB Receiver'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Receiver) > 'AudioSource Amp100'
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
> 'Polk Atrium 45'
(http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/atrium/index.php#atrium45); Kid's
bedroom:  'Boom'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Boom); Roaming
controllers: Retina iPad with Squeezepad & iPeng, iPod touch with iPeng,
3 'SB Duet Controllers'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Controller), various SB infrared
remotes, 'Nokia N800' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800); In the
bullpen (boxed up and ready to use if one of the above quits): 'SB3'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20051210015952/http://slimdevices.com/)
and one more 'SB Receiver'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Receiver)
http://www.last.fm/user/aubuti/