I'm interested in buying anyone's good condition SqueezeBox classic as a
reasonable price. I'd like to acquire 2 or 3 as backups for what I have
now.

I'm also interested in newer technology that will fill the same niche.
Specifically, I want a high quality music player with a display screen
that I can write my own server software to control, as I have with my
squeezeboxen classics.

Basically, I have 3 classics built into my home automation system, and I
use them not just for music, but as clocks, weather alert mechanisms, my
doorbell, my alarm clock, etc. I was never happy with the functionality
I got from the original slimserver, so I put a LOT of work into writing
my own. I'd like to maintain that investment by having units with the
same capabilities I use now: display, decent DAC, optical out, remote
control capability. What's out there?