I can not understand this decision and the reasons stated.

An old PC with sufficient "power" is very cheap and allows very decent
Squeezebox/Logitech Server functionality.  Another option are NAS
devices from Synology and similar which also provide decent
Squeezebox/Logitech Server functionality for reasonable costs.

I am using Apple devices as well, which - however - are not cheap at
all.

My Squeezebox/Logitech Server works  very stable and I think that the
functionalites such as MusicIP are the best you can currently expect, so
that I bought a number of spare Squeezebox devices (1 Transporter,
plural Touch, plural Radio, plural Controller). I intend to stay with
Squeezebox for many many years.