Good luck with your new music solution, Autopilot. I hope it works out
well for your needs.

As for me, I don't really have any "maintenance" issues, but since I'm
the only one who puts new music into the system, that does simplify
things. I know my wife would never want to have to bother with that side
of it; she just wants to play the music, not maintain the database. And
that suits me, because I'm pretty fussy about tagging, and prefer to do
it myself anyway.

But as for the system itself, in my house there is no maintenance,
really. Our WiFi is rock solid, and I haven't had to do anything with
LMS in a long time. I'm a couple releases behind, but even when I do get
around to updating, it won't take me more than fifteen minutes; it isn't
painful.

Everybody has to make his own choices, of course, and I know not
everybody's SB experience has been smooth and easy sailing. I do see
that the Squeezebox line is somewhat of a niche system, but I happen to
be in that niche. My requirements when I started were:

1. Music throughout a multi-level house
2. A large, lossless personal music library
3. Easily controlled from anywhere in the house
4. Ability to synchronize any combination of rooms

The SB system does all those things, and does them well. As far as I'm
aware, no other system really meets all those requirements, at least
within the same price range. Although there were some glitches over the
years, they were really quite minor, and I can't recall the last time
there was even a minor problem. There are now 8 players (Duets, Touches,
Booms and Radios) in addition to a couple computers using SqueezePlay,
and that covers most of the house quite well (though I might pick up
another Radio or Boom for the basement workshop and/or garage). Among
the hardware players there are frequently anywhere from two to six
playing in sync. The majority of our listening is still from our own
library, but we also have started using Sirius/XM and Pandora quite a
bit.

As a bonus, we get access to our personal music collection when we
travel. Last month we spent a week in a secluded cabin in the woods.
There was no cell phone reception, but the place did have Internet
access (via satellite dish) and WiFi, so I took one of the Booms along.
I connected it to the IP address of the home system, set the bitrate
limiting, and we had our music -- all our music -- with us on vacation,
using SqueezeCommander on our phones to control it, just like at home.
That's not a primary requirement for me, but it's a nice extra feature.

I don't fret much over the fact that official support is now coming to
an end. If I lose the ability to put Sirius/XM on the Squeezebox
players, that will be a bummer, but it isn't the end of the world. Other
than that, I don't really need anything from Logitech or MSB.com anyway.
I figure the hardware is good for a long time (barring physical
accident), and by the time the devices start failing I'm hopeful that
there will be adequate replacements available. But that's far enough in
the future that I just don't worry about it. I'm in no hurry to
liquidate the SB system and start over.

But regardless of what system anyone decides to go with, we can all
agree that what matters most is what the Doobie Brothers told us:
"Listen to the music!"