Regarding alternative ways of selecting and playing music, the user
interface provided by MinimServer (via any UPnP controller) is by far
the best I have found for a multi-platform UPnP/DLNA solution, and it is
free.   It's a very flexible and logical way to select items to play in
any number of ways, with hierarchies that change depending on what you
have selected thus far.  Really rather neat.  It can't do what ickStream
will do (as far as I understand it, and I know it's not a server), but
some of the design ideas may be of interest.

The other non-LMS solution I've been pursuing is foobar2000 with
foo_upnp.  It runs well under Wine on linux, and if anything is even
more flexible, but it can be a little too clever and complex at times.

LMS 7.8 on VortexBox Midi, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch with
EDO on Ethernet, coax out to a Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC. Wireless
Xubuntu laptop controls server using Chromium.   Meridian Explorer USB
DAC to listen to LMS via Squeezelite on Vortexbox & other PCs as
required.  Spare Touch in loft!