> The two times it didn't work, the boom turned on,  displayed the station
> information but made no sound.

Yeah that's what I've seen in the past.

This morning I woke to the backup alarm sound, a computer generated
several tone sequence, apparently due to my wireless router having a
hiccup overnight.  After power-cycling the router everything is back
to normal.  But this is not the problem I've had in the past, which as
you describe the boom is clearly connected to the server just no
sound.  Hitting play at that point starts the station playing.

I have never switched to mysb.com, always local server.

> sent from a computer using a keyboard

:-)