I have been running Slimserver on a 5-6 yr old Toshiba Portege laptop
for a while now, and have had very acceptable performance given its
spec (Pentium II 300 MHz, with 128Mb RAM, running Win 2000). My music
is 400 albums, 5275 tracks, 220 artists, mainly FLACs with some MP3s,
sitting on an external USB drive connected to a NSLU "slug". Im using a
wireless squeezebox 2. Its a bit slow when I turn the SB on, but I think
the disk may have gone to sleep. Apart from the occasional slow response
to remote control input , it works well, sounds great, and the laptop is
extremely quiet so its left on all the time. Im running 6.2b2 4694 on
the Tosh.

So far so good.

Ive just taken delivery of a new desktop - a Dell 5150, 3Ghz with 2Gb
Ram, running Win XP sp 2, so I thought Id see how it compared,
expecting blistering performance. (Turning on the Dell, I was amazed at
how quiet it was, its got the new BTX chassis design with a single fan,
and its so quiet, almost silent, well recomended)
I dowloaded the latest version of Slimserver, 6.2.1 5024 (last nights),
waited till it had scanned the music, and then had a play on the web
interface. Initial screens were much quicker as expected, but then
disappointment. Browsing Artists was quick, selecting any of these,
showed the allbum list very quickly, but after selecting the album, it
takes a long time to display the track list - anything from 7 to 15
seconds!! Thats a long time on a 3Ghz PC

Going back to the Toshiba, I try the same thing - initially much slower
to display the list of artists, and their albums, but actually quicker
to display the list of tracks, typically 4 to 8 seconds.

I'm confused , an old laptop with a puny spec faster than a brand new
machine with lots of RAM ???

Any ideas? or recomendations to make the new machine run any faster?
I accept its not a head to head comparison as I'm running differnet
versions but even so ....
I'll do some more investigations, but in the meantime all suggestions
welcome

Regards
Nigel

--