Ok, I *did* find a workaround for this problem.  Out of the 45 albums I
ripped into uncompressed AIFF files, I discovered there were 5 albums
in which the songs would not all play in Squeezbox.

So, I did an experiment - I deleted the albums in question, and
reimported them, but first in iTunes advanced options for importing, I
UN-checked the option "Create Filenames with Track Number".

That worked - now all the tracks in the affected albums are available.
Unfortunately, the album tracks for that album are not in sequence -
I'm not sure how to fix THAT problem.  Sigh!

--
Cleve

Two-channel system;

McIntosh MC2205 amplifier