When Squeezebox mania got me to carefully rip thousands of CDs, the only
commercially pressed ones that were flat-out impossible to read were the
two discs in "Monty Python's Final Ripoff".  They were victims of the
"bronzing" issue a British plant had for a while.  I had other discs
that were visibly bronzed, but none of them gave me any special
problems.

Having said that, to this day I encounter visually perfect pressed discs
with various levels of readability.  Sometimes they'll just zoom along
in one drive but re-read multiple sectors in others.  Sometimes no drive
will read them accurately (I'm looking at you, original Geffen issue of
Peter Gabriel's "So"!)  DualDiscs seem to be particularly troublesome on
the CD side.

I found CD-Rs to read pretty much as one might expect: The Mitsuis and
Taiyo Yudens were fine, the lesser brands were sometimes fine and
sometimes worthless.  My favorite is still the Memorex that was
completely destroyed when a Post-It note managed to peel off the
recording layer.