lrossouw wrote:
> You kind of painted yourself into a corner here. You have complicated
> requirements, particularly point 2.
>
> I see 3/4 options:
>
> 1) If you let 2 go I would suggest something like plex server on linux.
> I think it has DLNA features but it doesn't have the complicated browse
> menus.  I have it but don't use DLNA or the music features so not sure
> how well it works. You possibly need to let go 4 as well.  This also
> means you won't be using LMS.  https://plex.tv/    (that's 3
> requirements down).  It has web interfaces and apps though.
>
> 2) Use LMS and somehow get it converted to the way you want.  Hit's all
> your points but not 9.  I think it will be tricky to set up and
> difficult to work with.
>
> 3) LMS has some upnp functionality. But I have no idea how it works.  I
> think it acts more as a client playing other sources than anything else.
> Check under settings/advanced/network.  It also acts as a server so you
> should be able to play stuff from your amp already.  But it doesn't show
> up as a player AFAIK.
>
> 4) Set up one little box (which you have already in the form of an SB).
> Get one of the boards for which images exist on this forum.  Write that
> image and you are set to go.  Hit's all your points except 7.   And most
> of these are so small you can hide them anyway.

I agree with every point you make.  The OP seems to be ignoring the
existing solutions and suggesting somebody writes him some complex
software, free of charge of course, just so he can make use of the
otherwise useless DLNA function in his amplifiers. Nice try, but not
likely to get him what he wants.

The extra Squeezebox device is the least hassle solution and already
easily achieved for about £50. With a WiFi enabled Raspberry Pi and
PiCorePlayer it is a matter of minutes to build a working player and the
Pi is so small that you could easily hide it behind virtually all but
the tiniest amp. It is actually smaller than a Receiver, I have two
Receivers and I barely notice those as it is!

If you want "hi-fi" you can always solder in a PiDac - which is
supported by PiCorePlayer and produces a pretty decent sound by all
accounts. True Hi-fi needs a separate DAC, of course, but that would be
the same with his system as the DLNA DACs in his amplifiers are unlikely
to be a match for even relatively lowly standalone DACs.

My only qualm is that every extra box is yet another power supply, plug
and set of cables.  But you can't have everything...

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen)
*Server:* Synology DS111 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.7.2
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
access point
*Livingroom:* Receiver, Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.