I think I have got as far as I can without input from those more
knowledgeable, and probably wiser, than I.  The state of play now is
that:

- I have cleaned up the logs so that they aren't full of trace callback
errors whenever the player/renderer is restarted
- spare flac/sox programs (usually) aren't left lying around
- there are a few configuration additions from the versions published
here up to now, such that the python program shouldn't have to be
edited
- I've sprinkled a few hopefully helpful comments in the scripts
- I am finishing up some documentation on how to set it up.

However:

1) wavs play fine up to the limit of a single wav (> 3 hours for CD
quality) and then stop - reselecting the playlist on the player/renderer
restarts it

2) flacs play providing there is something has already started playing
when the player/renderer selects the stream URL. However if you pause a
track and restart it, and sometimes when changing tracks, you often have
to reselect the stream URL on the player/renderer.  I suspect the
problem is that when nothing is playing, flac (from the flac or sox
programs) produces no output (unlike for wavs from sox when there is a
constant stream of data) and the stream protocol fails.   I am not quite
sure if there is an absolute upper time limit on the flac stream but
it's > 3 hours at 24/192 provided the music doesn't stop!

So, should I publish on the "3rd Party Software sub-forum" and see what
follows?

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi running Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. Wired Touch + EDO, coax to Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC.
Wireless Xubuntu 14.04 laptop controls LMS via Chromium.   Meridian
Explorer USB DAC to listen via Squeezelite on Vortexbox & other PCs as
required.  Spare Touch in loft.