I have a jbl flip 2
(http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Portable-Wireless-Bluetooth-Powerbank/dp/B00GAJ2OK4/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t),
which have a good sound, powerfull enough and quite well balanced, price
is reasonnable. The battery life isn't much (3 / 4 hours) but is enough
for me and you can charge it with usb cable.
Previously I had a jawbone jambox and I sent it back, it was very bad in
my opinion.
I haven't had much trouble to pair it on bluetooth with my linux, it's
just that the sound seems really better with the jack input. Do you
think the same ?
I tried also with my android phone with bluetooth and same poor sound
quality as on linux.

by the way , i usually don't get any mail notification when I have
replies on threads, while subscription is checked instantly using email.
Is it working for you ?