Thanks guys for these suggestions.

I think this parent/sub-folder option does sound like a good compromise
between ease, function and technicality.

I guess I could also ‘copy’ MP3 versions of duplicate artists (those
that might show up in both kids and adult libraries) into this ..
\music\flac\lossyonly\artist\album.. sub-folder? Or would that be taking
things too far and end up confusing the LMS scanning?

By that I mean: Let’s say ‘Coldplay’ is an artist in my original
VB\music\flac\…   library, but is also favoured by the kids. If I
dropped MP3 versions of the ‘Coldplay’ albums into the kids'
VB\music\flac\lossyonly\artist\album sub-folder, then I’m assuming these
versions would show up somehow as duplicates when LMS scanned the parent
and sub-folders??

The same question could apply to genres. If I had tagged Coldplay ‘FLAC’
files under the ‘pop’ genre, or whatever, and then re-ripped it and
tagged it with ‘kids’ genre, would I end up with confusing duplicates??

Hope that makes sense?

Ta

SB "user" since 2000...
3 x Touch; 2 x Boom ; 3 x Classic; 1 x Controller
Spares - 1xClassic; 2xSB1
Controlled by iPad using 'Squeezepad'
Vortexbox appliance running LMS version 7.8