Deaf Cat wrote:
> Hi
> I have an old Lenovo PentiumD that runs win8, fidelizer and of course
> LMS.
> I have disabled a lot of services, including the paging file.  On board
> sound, and USB are disabled in the BIOS.
> Trying different sata cables also made a difference to the sound.
> Main aim is to have the pc doing as little as possible, and to my ears
> it makes a nice difference, I still have plenty to learn about.
>
> I have recently added a network card so I could test out the win8
> network bridge option.  This allows the pc to send info direct to my SB
> Touch rather than go through a router, was not sure what would be best,
> but rather impressed at the improvement  :-) This is where the Meicord
> is.
>
> The SB Touch with linear psu runs SoundChecks Toolbox, cutting down its
> internal processing work to a minimum.
>
> From the SBT I run digi coax to a Tag pre/dac,
>
> Then I have a couple of Marchand XM44EMB boards (active crossover)
>
> Rega Power amps and Ditton Floorstanders.
>

> It may even be an option for you to buy a new pc, and use your old one
> as a dedicated music server, closer to the amp with an ethernet cable..
>
> I HAVE FOUND IT IS ALL TEST AND PLAY SEE WHAT WORKS FOR MY OWN EARS.
> Took me a good while to actually take the jump, to switch the paging
> file off as I understand it can cause serious problems sometimes if you
> turn it off.
>
> Rather nice improvement and the pc still runs :-D  free sound upgrade
> :-)

No offense, but I hope that other readers of this thread will study a
bit of what you've said above on their own, as most of the comments
you've made about cause and effect in terms of sound quality are not
just improbable or a matter of "taste" and "preferences" but actually
*impossible* based on the clear engineering and science of how digital
transmission of music works between the files, the server running LMS,
the transmission method (wifi or ethernet) and the ultimate squeezebox
players.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* several Touch, Radio, SB3
*Controllers:* iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify