RonM wrote:
> I'll agree with this sentiment, but only when a so-called audiophile can
> actually demonstrate in a properly controlled study that he or she can
> tell the difference between a 320 mp3 stream and a lossless stream.  I
> don't actually think that this has yet been demonstrated.  Perhaps by a
> very small minority with extra-good hearing and proper training.

I am on your side here, at least if we are talking about radio streams.
I would neither call myself an audiophile, nor do I think I have
excellent hearing, but I made a test recently with my Reson PR80s, which
is basically a 10 year old, proprietary cd player/ripping station/UPnP
client box similar to a VortexBox. Even though it is proprietary, it
runs on Linux and can be accessed via telnet--and therefore be hacked
and modded. I ripped the same song (Jazz, heavy on sax, drums and
male/female voice; not my style, but for the purpose ok) as mp3 (192,
256, 320) and flac and played it on my system (Reson > DAC > vintage
high-end amp and matching speakers). mp3 192 sounded bad, especially
when played on low volume. 320 mp3 and flac were almost
indistinguishable for me, but when I listened to those two without
knowing which was which, flac came out on top most of the times.

Again, this was on my dedicated setup for listening. On my Boom or
Radio, lossy or lossless does not make any difference, in my opinion.
But I think, that is way off-topic here ;)

- *ASRock Ion 330* (home office) running Xubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + LMS
  7.9, all music streamed as FLAC > Local Player > Behringer MS 40
  active nearfield monitors via toslink
- *Boom* (master bedroom), *Radio* (master bathroom), *Archos 35 Home
  Connect* + SqueezePlayer (guest bathroom)
- *Reson PR 80s* as UPnP client (living room) > Parasound DAC 1500 >
  vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (with 42E equalizer, 42T tape deck, and
  Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II speakers
- *Duet* + *Radio* in storage