pippin wrote:
> But wasn't the point to compare the quality of the services. That would
> include masterings. Little sense in just comparing lossless vs. lossy,
> in the end it's the audio quality you get for the money that counts. If
> it's better, it's better, independent on what causes it.
>
> Also: don't forget that you might be more flexible in your mastering if
> you don't have to take potential compression artifacts into account.
> Although these usually affect lower bit rates much more.

I generally agree with your point. But a comparison of a specific album
across the two services doesn't really tell you anything about the
quality of the two services because the comparison *may* be confounded
by the ignored variable of underlying album version.   So the test would
really be more about which service carries the *version* of the album
you like best rather than which service is streaming a better quality
track (i.e, without added compression, etc.).  It may be that testing
the latter is just fine. I'm just pointing out that your test is the
"joint test" of both underlying mastering/version and streaming.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* several Touch, Radio, SB3
*Controllers:* iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify