I always rip CDs for my home LMS system to both FLAC and MP3 (using
dbPowerAmp's multi-encoder), so I have both formats available. My
carry-around music is about 400+ albums in MP3 on my Android phone, with
a pair of Sennheiser PX 200 II headphones, which are nice because I
don't like in-ear phones. These are collapsible and fold up small, but
have a very good sound. I use those mainly in airports and planes and
hotels.

My car is a Ford with their Sync system, and I plug a 64GB USB stick
into it containing about 900 MP3 albums (Sync seems to have an
unofficial limit of about 10,000 tracks, and gets flaky if I try to feed
it more). I like the Sync system a lot, for the convenience of being
able to just speak the name of the album (or artist, or genre) I want to
play. I spend a lot of time in the car, and having such easy access to a
wide variety of music (augmented by Sirius radio) is great. Sure beats
the days of tapes (I go back to 8-track days) and even CDs. Pawing
through boxes of tapes or books of CDs looking for a specific album
while trying to drive was never fun, and it always seemed like the album
I was most in the mood for couldn't be found when I wanted it.