chrissy wrote:

> I guess there is a simple reason: You can't earn money with it. Look at
> the SOtM sMS-100 . It is priced as high as 499€ here in Germany and
> nothing more than a raspie with pi-coreplayer you can buy for 60€. If
> you take a cubie +2 tb Disk, you pay about 200€ and have a complete
> server player system with more diskspace than you probably ever need for
> music. How should a commercial company compete with prices like this?
>
> I don`t think people will pay that much just for a fancy case and the
> installation service.

I believe you need to make a distinguish between technical knowledgeable
customers and customers without technical knowledge.
For sure, those of us who are able to get a Pi or whatever hardware
running as a streamer won't pay that kind of money. But there are far
more customers out there who can't do that. It are these people who will
pay a premium for a streamer.
So, there sure would be a possible market for a "Squeezebox client" like
product if LMS wouldn't be a requirement. The LMS part is yet another
reason why it doesn't happen. Apart from the possible technical
challenges of having to setup an LMS server (again a certain level of
technical knowledge required) there is still the fact that LMS is an End
Of Live product. There is no sane manufacture out there who will design
and produce a product based up on an EOL product (which they even do not
own). The financial risks are way to high.

'M-DAC' (http://www.audiolab.co.uk/M-DAC%20Series.aspx?lang=En) ->
'Cambridge Audio Azur 840E'
(http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/azur-840e-pre-amplifier) ->
'Focal MP1200' (http://www.mp1200.co.nf/) -> 'Focal Electra 1028 Be'
(http://www.focal.com/en/electra-1000-be-2/209-electra-1028-be-3544053695099.html)
1 x SB3, 1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio and 2 x SB Touch - all wireless
1 x Wandboard Dual behind the bedroom ceiling
1 x Wandboard Dual for 'msqueeze' (http://www.msqueeze.co.nf/index.html)
project
1 x Wandboard Quad (will eventually become my LMS server)
ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.8.1. - 1402661598
iPeng 7 on iPhone.
SqueezePad & iPeng 7 on iPad.
http://www.last.fm/user/phibon