> OK, the Apple has a few gapless problems :(
I'd query the 'few' as it doesn't do gapless at all.
> Survival of the fittest. Only in rare circumstances does the inferior
> product win (e.g. VHS vs Betamax), and usually in those cases it
> involves consumer stupidity/naivety, a huge marketing department, sheer
> luck or Bill Gates
I'd also query the 'rare circumstances', but absolutely agree that
consumer stupidity/naivety, a huge marketing department, sheer luck or
Bill Gates are often common factors in the all too common incidence of
marketing trumping quality and capability. I'd add Apple in there too
now as the iPod is the certainly the most fashionable DAP (and gapless
aside, it's quite capable) but there are several technically and
sonically superior models available IMHO. I think it's more a case of
'survival of the prettiest'.

--
Fifer