the SB Boom does a very good jopb at feeding a sub through the audio
out. doing so produces an amazing effect, it allwed the Boom to fill my
large garage with Gym with very high quality sound.

now there are an increasing number of DACs and Integrated Amps with the
ability to offer separate, configurable separate outputs for speakers
and a sub. the NAD D7050, D3020 and their higher end M12 are examples (i
have installed the D7050 for a friend -works great- and intend to get
the M12. i do not work in audio in this is not an endorsement, i only
mention products that have that built-in capability).

you *can* pleasantly complement full-range bookshelf speakers with a
subwoofer to add a subtle low end boost, but it is a very delicate
exercise, and often people end up with something that sounds worse as a
whole. i am doing that with my current setup, but the sub is turned to
10% volume at most. i experimented with the internal sub's crossover and
it murked things up, not an option with my setup.

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 12.04 + LMS 7.7.3 on VMware
Player
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- Totem
Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity
M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e