Fifer Wrote:
> I'll let someone else answer the question about transferring your edited
> tags over to the FLAC versions. It's a very good question ...
Ooops.  Missed that bit, sorry !!! Good question indeed and not very
easy.

The way I would do it is as follows..... (if you needed further help
I'd be willing to help with the command-line stuff in further detail).

Map my artist/album folders to be exactly the same for the MP3 and FLAC
root folders, e.g.

C:\MP3
\Beatles
\Help!

C:\FLAC
\Beatles
\Help!

I obviously wouldn't do this manually, so luckily if your using Windows
you can simply do XCOPY /T /E C:\MP3 D:\FLAC which will copy the
directory structure.

Then I'd do a full dirlist of my MP3 folder just as a backup so I knew
what things were called and knew where I started at.  I would then do a
batch rename of every single MP3 file removing everything but the track
number, so it would be something like 01.mp3, 02.mp3, 03.mp3 etc...
(you did say they were tagged!).

Then I would use the program MP3Tag to extract a report of all of my
MP3's tags into a CSV file.

It would be a manual process for each disc loading it in anyway, and
I'd recommend ripping as WAV to encode later.  All you'd have to do is
remember to save it to the specific folder in the FLAC folder tree.
You would set it up so that the filename was just the track number,
e.g. 01.wav

Encode all the .wavs into FLAC ignoring tags to avoid confusion.

So you'd end up with these files:
C:\MP3\Beatles\Help!\01.mp3
C:\MP3\Beatles\Help!\02.mp3

C:\FLAC\Beatles\Help!\01.flac
C:\FLAC\Beatles\Help!\02.flac

Go into your CSV file, find and replace all occurences of ".mp3" with
".flac" and all occurences of \MP3\ with \FLAC\.  Reimport the taglist
back into MP3Tag and it should process all of the FLAC files with the
tags from the original MP3's.

I'd certainly recommend printing off a list of all your albums and
using a tickbox system to say "Extracted"...."Encoded To
Flac"....."Tags Imported"..."Checked" so you know where you are at,
maybe it would be best to do the conversion each time you change artist
as you must rmemeber WAV files are big so you couldn't do it all at
once.  Once you'd done an artist, have a quick check to make sure the
number of MP3's matched the number of FLAC's...listen to one in each
album (thus checking the tags)...then you may as well delete all his
MP3's.

--
Jim