bernt wrote:
> +1
>
> Raspberry PI B+ are cheap right now. At least here in Sweden.

I don't think the standard analogue out on a Pi is sufficiently good to
make it a contender on its own. You will hear unexplained crackle and
pops. I think you would have to couple it to either a Pi DAC card or USB
Dac pretty much straight away.

I think my preference would be a second hand iPad or iPod Touch with
iPeng and perhaps something like one of these -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191532444018?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

The combination of the two would allow you to use the iThingy anwhere
around the house as a controller and as a player to the AirPlay adapter
wherever you wanted it. These adapters do have an Optical out as well as
Analogue.

*Vortexbox LMS 7.8 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS* -
iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
*Living Room* - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 connected Digitally - > Celestion
Ditton F20s - and connected Analogue for Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 ->
Sennheiser RS 130
*Office* - SB3 -> Sony TA FE320 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 ->
Wharfedale Modus Cubes