JJZolx wrote:
> To be honest, the Transporter was an inside joke by Sean Adams, who
> chuckled under his breath at audiophiles and the little rarefied world
> that they live in. He designed a very nice sounding device, and gave it
> an arbitrary price tag. ("Hey Tony, how does $1000 sound? That's
> expensive, right?" "Nah, why don't you make it $2000?" "Sure. What the
> hell.")
>
> Transporter was never where Logitech wanted to take the product line.
> They were hoping for something more mainstream, but could never quite
> make that happen financially. If they could have sold a device for $99,
> then Squeezebox might still be alive. Unfortunately, they inherited
> (bought, actually) an ecosystem that was extremely expensive to
> maintain, and way more rickety than they'd hoped.
>
> Forensically, their problem was that they hired a lot of guys who
> understood the hardware, audio and networking sides of things, but they
> pretty thoroughly fucked up the data modeling and (to a lesser extent)
> the user interface. If Logitech had immediately made the decision to
> port the software to a native Windows application and knocked out a
> device for $99, I guarantee the Squeezebox would still be alive today.

It was not overpriced. It is worth every penny. Design, build quality,
components, and sound quality all top. So the price is OK.

Callesoroe
Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan
Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma
PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
Kitchen: Transporter, Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom:
Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, WIMP-HIFI flac
streaming.
http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe