Hi Guys,

Nothing lasts forever, but I am have to say I am impressed by the amount
of activity that's springing up around the globe these days basically by
hobbyists and the technically able users, but it all seems very positive
to me. Some key enablers have been Logitech's enlightened GPL licensing
of LMS, Adrian's wonderful Squeezelite, continued improvements to the
server platform by Michael Herger and others and the explosion in
popularity of boards like the Raspberry Pi, Odroid platforms.

This seems to show two things:
1) People who know about Squeezebox really love the system and will go
to great lengths to keep it running even without commercial hardware
support
2) There seems to a resurgence of interest in high quality audio that is
far removed from the stratospheric so-called "high end" and is more
about kilo-buck headphone rigs than it is about man-cave statement
audiophoolery, and this is not by any means restricted to the boring old
fart demographic anymore.

However, before I get too optimistic and dewey-eyed, there are some
causes for concern:
1) At some point, Logitech will presumably want to shut down
MySqueezebox.com and stop funding the CDN that supports it. Will
Ickstream be a stable and good substitute by then?
2) The lack of commercial hardware still bothers me. The knock against
Squeezebox even in its heyday was that it was too demanding technically
for the average consumer; now that you have to be able assemble a
Raspberry Pi and write a downloaded image to a micro-SD card, the
barrier to general adoption is higher than ever.

There still seems to be a big gap in the market between a $35 streaming
stick from Google and a Sonus Connect box from $350. Is it just
uneconomic to make a box that retails for $250 provides a really high
quality audio streaming client? We're getting pretty close to that with
some pre-assembled kits such as this one:
http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/appareils-hifi-dac/audiophonics-raspdac-lecteur-reseau-raspberry-pi-20-dac-sabre-p-10369.html.
(I realize there is a big difference between selling a barebones audio
computer and a fully finished streamer with all appropriate codec patent
licenses paid up and CE-certified for electrical safety etc.)
Nevertheless, I can't help wishing for someone to take this on
commercially.

Just some random thoughts on a Saturday afternoon.  No big agenda here,
but I would be interested in others' thoughts on the topic.  Does the
Raspberry Pi phenomenon help or hinder the chances of Squeezebox systems
staying with us for the next 5+ years?

Charles