cliveb wrote:
> This is the core of the issue. The Squeezebox ecosystem is complex
> because it is so flexible.
> Sonos is simple to operate because it's a closed system and the users
> get only the facilities that Sonos dictates.
> If the Squeezebox ecosystem were simplified so that it's as easy to use
> as Sonos, it would lose the very flexibility that makes it unique and so
> appealing to us.
>
> Let me liken it to the process of preparing food.
> The Squeezebox approach is akin to obtaining the fresh ingredients and
> doing it all yourself.
> Sonos is like buying a prepared meal and whacking it in the oven.
> If you have the necessary skill, the former approach will yield better
> results.
> But if like me you are pretty hopeless in the kitchen, a prepared meal
> is the way to get something edible.

Oh yes but things can still be better . Setup trough iPad app is
possible , but what the app tells you to do with cheerful pictures is to
temporarily connect the iPad directly to the play 3's own wifi and then
connect back to normal wifi again when finished . This is actually very
similar to what the controller did for the receiver . Logitechs own app
did not emulate that . Some third party setup for android exist .
But squeezebox Touch is actually better here as it setups directly from
the device .

The players are quite simple in both systems :) but the many options in
the server and dyi players are more enthusiasts I agree .

I think that good UI can make complexity more palatable . You register
your sonos , I bet you actually also joins some online server too :) but
everything is admined trough their app so the end user is often not
aware .

In squeezebox world some apps can be added trough the player UI some
also require the end user to visit mysb.com to setup things , and the
server specific player settings we have . It's actually a feature but
can confuse some I think .

So I do think a lot of small things can be much more straightforward
without actually sacrifice functionality . But it is what it is when
several different dev's and enthusiast commit thier stuff without to
much coordination . It think it's charming actually .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )