Which server version is this?
Also, please check your file conversion settings to make sure ALAC can
be played natively.
If that's sure then if iPeng can't play the file I'd say it's corrupt.
iPeng plays ALAC natively and uses Apple's codec, I'd say that's a
reference.

That said... A very common issue with ALAC and AAC files using an MP4
container is that some metadata is written at the end of the file
without a correct index header at the front of the file.
These files can be played locally but cannot streamed so won't work in a
Squeezebox environment

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*