Quoting Rainer M Krug (rai...@krugs.de):

> Hi
>
> System: LMS on Linux (Pogoplug)
> iTunes: on Mac OS X, library via samba share of LMS library
>
> I want to transcode all my flac to m4a files so that I can easily sync
> my library with iTunes. I would ;ike to have the following functunality
>
> 1) convert FILENAME.flac --->>> FILENAME.m4a with specified target
> bitrate 128 (I would like to get all my music on the iPhone and iPad -
> and the quality is OK) and change timestamp of FILENAME.m4a. If the m4a
> exist, do nothing
>
> 2) If the time of the m4a is newer than the flac, update the tags in the m4a.
>
> This should not be difficult to write, but before I lok into this, I
> want to make sure that I do not reinvent the wheel.
>
> Is there something like this?
>
> mp3 would also work, but I would prefer m4a as it is supposedly better
> quality with similar size.

I solved this problem a different way. I like having FLAC for it's
superior sound for streaming, but also having MP3 for syncing to
iDevices to go.

I've used this for years: https://khenriks.github.io/mp3fs/

What it does is present your FLAC files to iTunes as mp3s, and
allows your iDevices to sync them. It transcodes the FLACs to mp3 on
the fly/on request, so syncing takes a bit longer, but not
unreasonably so. Any changes made to the FLAC files are immediately
represented in the MP3s as well, including tags and cover art so
none of the hassle to having to deal with two different libraries of
the same songs. It works very elegantly and transparently for me.
It's a bit geeky yes and requires some knowhow to set up, but if
you're reasonably familiar with linux it's a no brainer.