bpa wrote:
> For LMS to play a VLC stream - it needs ot have a name and extension and
> also VLC will only stream MP3
>
> See this thread
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?48568-Streaming-to-Squeezebox-using-VLC

That was a great link, helped me to get it going.  I could connect an
analogue source to a USB codec, plug the USB codec into a Windows
laptop, and use VLC to stream the analogue source to any squeezebox
player in the house.  Exactly what I needed.

For anyone interested, here are the settings I used:

LAPTOP

- Analogue source (line level) plugged into USB codec inputs (ADC)

- Windows PC with VLC
Eg laptop on WiFi, I use static addresses and this laptop is
192.168.0.101

- Laptop Firewall set to give VLC full in/out access

- Sound settings (from Windows Control Panel) Enable USB codec in,
Disable mic in, Disable line in
Enable Speakers out, disable USB codec out
Configure speakers to be full range - this may be needed to prevent
Windows trying to 'compensate' the sound source

VLC SETTINGS

- VLC set to use default audio system
Set to stream as:

:sout=#transcode{acodec=mpga,ab=256,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=raw,dst=192.168.0.101:1234/vlc.mp3}}
Un-tick 'play locally' - this also may be needed to prevent Windows
trying to 'compensate' the sound source, as well as preventing the
annoying tinny sound

SQUEEZEBOX

- Use SBS 'Internet Radio, tune a URL', and set to
http://192.168.0.101:1234/vlc.mp3

There are 2 things I would like to try sometime in the future:

- see if codec flac (acodec=flac) would work, with flac filename
(vlc.flac), though bpa suggests this might not work
- see if I can get a Linux PC to manage this - when I briefly tried, VLC
couldn't see the USB codec source (though Audacity can).

Thanks to bpa for the link, and to d6jg for the streamwhatyouhear
suggestion (which looks useful but I didn't need, in the end)

regards, Atlantic