This follows up on abdomen's suggestion that a basic IR controlled mains
switch would be the simplest way of doing this - at least for those of
us who are not gifted with either the time or the skills to go
cooperised's route (and sadly I have neither).

After a little searching I found a velleman project kit (some simple
assembly required!) which offers an IR controlled 240V 5A relay.  It is
the K6713 available from CPC in the UK for £20 here
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=HK00755&N=411
(you may have to click on this link twice to get the right page) and
info here http://www.velleman.be/common/product.Aspx?lan=1&id=9356 .

The next problem would be how to get the right IR code output from the
IR blaster.  There is a pronto ccf for the velleman IR codes from
remotecentral.com, but I don't know how you could put these codes into
the plugin.

Chris

--
lostboy