It's in the title: I don't think the question has much to do w/ LMS (not
for me at least), but I hope Pippin or some other member knowledgeable
in all things iOS can put me on the right track.

I have a server with the classic user|workgroup ownership scheme. The
platform is linux, clients are Macs, fileserver is netatalk, user
authentication is local.
- Ideally I want to offer the same view when browsing from an iPad or
from the Finder: identify as user foo and see 2 shares: "foo's homedir"
and "shared files"
- An ok solution would be to allow separate access to the 2 shares when
identified as user foo. (I expect providing a page or cgi showing both
locations is easy.)
- Files accessed will be the usual PDFs and MS Office documents. R/W
access is expected.

I understand this is feasible with webdav (I'd like to use lighttpd) in
conjunction with fuse-bindfs (to remount the tree as www-data) and would
use an autofs executable map to do the mounts. Messy, but feasible I
think.

I see some file browsing clients for iOS advertise support for CIFS.
Samba has always bored me and I remember no end of interoperability
troubles with macs or win PCs in the old days.

Would you choose webdav or CIFS as file sharing protocol for an iPad?
If CIFS, should I let go of Netatalk and replace it with Samba, even for
desktop users?

Sorry for the bo-ring question, and thanks in advance for sharing your
views.

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.