drmatt wrote:
> Always disable replaygain when doing critical listening as it's done in
> the digital domain and adds aliasing at the LSB. And have the output
> volume at 100% too and use an external pre amp.

I am always careful of any advice that includes the word "always". :)

I guess this really belongs down in the "audiophile" section, but most
digital volume adjustments are done at more than 16 bit precision, so
covered by the self-dither of the inherent noise in the actual music.
In any case, the resulting "lack of precision" manifests itself as (very
low-level, way beyond the source material) noise. "Aliasing" is usually
used for something else, and has nothing to do with volume adjustment.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953