what would you want to be able to do?  from squeezeboxen or any
networked audio system?  beyond just replicating functionality that
already exists, is there something that's unique about a
voice-controlled system?

It adds some level of suspense to your music listening experience: does it really understand what I want? Or will it play the great group "Prints" again, instead of Prince? What about AC/DC's "Health Bells"?

Really, I don't get all the hype around voice controlled systems. In particular not in a music listening environment: do you really want to shut down the party just so your system does understand what you're yelling at it? I doubt it...

And no, I didn't make up above examples. That's the results I got from one such voice recognition system. Ok, I'm not a native English speaker. But results don't get any better at all once you want to talk to it in German. "Spiel mir Prinz". Nah...

--

Michael