Should be pretty straightforward indeed.
There are few docks (when the Lightning Connector was introduced docks
had already come out of fashion and you probably don't want to use a
straight cable to your DAC (because you can't charge then) but otherwise
all newer iPhone models and all iPads make for pretty good players.
iPeng currently supports 96kHz/24Bit playback, we might up that to
192kHz in the future although it's a bit of a bandwidth/load tradeoff
(that's almost the data rate of an HD video stream and iThingies
obviously only have WiFi).

I've written an article about it when we first introduced the HD
playback in iPeng. It's a bit outdated, most of the limitations on the
iOS side no longer exist today but the general capabilities are all
still there.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2012/08/14/ipeng-goes-audiophile/?lang=de

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*