I would avoid the WDS thing and trying to extend wifi coverage though
wifi itself. Ethernet or powerline are a much better solution.

My advice would be to replace the APs with 2 Airport Express APs. If you
have a mac, win PC or an iThing in the house you can manage them.
The current model is not very recent, it's not AC but dual radio G/N and
sufficient for uncompressed audio or HD video streaming. You can have
them at discount price, refurb price is ~50 USD which makes it a good
value, plus they offer Airplay.

I have setup a 4-AE + powerline system in a large home, and it "just
works". One SSID, one password, and most clients I have tested seem
happy to roam from one AP to an other when they are moved around the
house (with an iPad a running video stream, stream will pause for about
1 sec and restart when changing AP.)
In this setup one of the 4 AEs is set to router mode. It works fine in
this role too, but firewalling settings are minimal and it doesn't
manage a local DNS service, only mDNS.

I have fiddled with OpenWRT and Tomato in the past, all my attempts at
setting up multiple APs (to be fair: using similar but not identical
devices) have failed. Fiddly, and when it "worked" it never provided a
convincing advantage over a single AP setup. The Airport Express is
simplistic, but in multiple AP mode, it's simply night and day.

my 2cts

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.