That's very strange.  I've never heard of anyone having a problem like
this.  By default, Random Mix will select ten songs from your library
(as filtered by the genre filter) and either add them to the end of
your playlist, or replace your playlist with them, depending on whether
you selected Add or Play.  What happens next depends on the mix you
selected:

Random Song Mix:  Every time a track ends, it will add another song to
the end of the playlist.

Random Artist/Album/Year Mix:  Every time the last track of the current
artist/album/year starts, a new artist/album/year will be added to the
end of the playlist.  The first time you start the mix, if an
artist/album/year is picked that only contains one track, another one
will be added to the end.

Old songs will either be cleared or kept in the playlist depending on
your settings.

You can chose how many upcoming songs to maintain in random song mix.
The default is 10, including the current one.  This setting has no
effect in artist/album/year mixes.

Where's your 17 songs coming from?  Have you set this in the Number of
Upcoming Songs setting?  What type of mix are you playing?

The behaviour that you've said you'd like is exactly how Random Mix is
meant to work.  However, it doesn't (yet) prevent tracks being played
more than once, so the mix will continue ad infinitum.

Max

--
max.spicer

The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible
teeth
and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws
but Max stepped into his private boat and waved good-bye