bsergiu wrote:
> Hi HiFi friends,
>
> I was attracted to the Roon hype, looked into it and got confused.
> I know that the HiFi world is a matter of taste and preferences, and the
> argumentation for whatever equipment or software does not have to be
> based on pure cold logic :) However, did I get this right, that Roon
> wants me to pay them ~500 bucks and to buy a 500 bucks NAS / Mac Mini in
> order to allow myself to listen to my own music, which I can do anyways
> today? Hmmm ...  If I look at apps like Synology native DS Video (as an
> example, not as an alternative to Roon!)  - which gives you a Roon-like
> augmented experience of your own video media (ratings, reviews, info on
> artists, pics, trailers, ...) with multi-device support - the price
> (zero, subsidized with hardware) is much more realistic.
> And one last word on "lifetime" pricing: it is their lifetime, not yours
> :)
>
> I understand this is a premium service, but dear Roon managers: you need
> to find new financing models for this, to make it more attractive to
> customers. Do not forget, your market segment are the geeks. Some of
> them rich, but still geeks ;)
>
> Long live my LMS infrastructure ;)

A Roon lifetime license is $499 or you can subscribe on an annual basis
for $119 I think.   There is no requirement to buy a NAS or Mac Mini.
You can use whatever you're using for LMS and wherever your music is
currently stored - Mac or PC.   Well, if you're using Linux, that may
not be true yet for Roon but soon will be.

The Roon attraction over LMS is simply that it is a far more elegant way
to manage your music plus Roon provides substantial metadata that most
users will simply not have embedded in their music files.   Roon Labs is
also very proactive in their customer/community support and the
evolution of their product.

Hey, I've used LMS since the early SlimDevices days and have always been
a big fan.  If you want a free system that just works, then there is no
need to look further than LMS.  I started using Roon over a year ago
(admittedly jumped in when Roon was having a nice sale) and must say
that I can't imagine ever going back.   IMO, Roon is what the Squeezebox
environment should have evolved into.

Mike (1 SB3, 1 Duet, 1 Boom, 2 Touch, 1 SB Radio)