Recoveryone wrote:
> I guess the real question is, will there be an upgrade to the LMS, Tidal
> app, Touch or any other Squeezebox to support this file format in its
> native form for playback?
> I have an account and thinking about going with the HiFi package, but it
> would be a waste if I can't use it with my squeezebox system.

If you've listened to or read any of Bob Stewart's (MQA creator)
presentations, there are several component parts (some software based,
others hardware based) to MQA. One of the best recent articles is by
John Darko here:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/mqa-tidal-where-are-we-now/#comment-140297.

Based on Darko's explanation, the best SB/LMS/ickStream users can
possibly hope for is for our software gurus/experts to write a
patch/plugin (for SBT and/or LMS) which recognizes the MQA encoded file
from TIDAL and performs the first (48kHz to 96kHz) 'decode' of the MQA's
'audio origami' technique.

"In other words, a 24bit/48kHz MQA file (standard currently available)
streamed via the Tidal MQA-mod desktop app (insert possible modified SB
here) will reach the downstream DAC as a 24bit/96kHz file, whether that
DAC is MQA-certified or not" Darko.

MQA-certified DACs will decode higher resolutions files at the hardware
level, up to 382.8kHz, IF that was encapsulated originally.

These MQA files from TIDAL HiFi/Master are also said to benefit from
correction of "the time domain smearing caused by the original A/D
converter. Even if you don’t have an MQA DAC and you don’t have software
that executes hi-res unfolding, an uptick in sound quality might still
be heard, especially on a more resolving hifi system." Darko

My Dilemma:  I was extraordinarily fortunate to come by a used PS Audio
DL3 DAC, which together with Martin Logan Purity speakers, is so good,
I'm reluctant to upgrade the DAC to something lesser that is
MQA-certified.

*Source*: TIDAL HiFi, Pandora One, other > MySqueezebox.com & LMS
7.9.0-ickStream plugin, using iPeng 9.0.3 app on iPhone6s/iPad
*Great Room*: SB Touch(1) > AudioQuest Toslink > PS    Audio  DL3 DAC >
Audio Envy interconnect 10' cables > 200w powered Martin   Logan Purity
speakers, SB Touch(2) >JVC 110w amp >   Martin Logan Motion 4 &
AudioEngine 5.
*Garage:* SB Touch(3) > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion
12
*Carry Anywhere: *TIDAL and Pandora >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini Bluetooth
speaker.