I think it is a common problem.
It seems to be affecting Mac users more than XP users. Or maybe there
are just more iTunes users on Mac?

The iTunes rescan changed significantly from 5.4 6.2 and produces a
different performance profile than before.
It has to both parse the iTunes XML and scan the files, so much more
work than the filesystem scan only.
But it is now a lot more accurate in my experience, and you have the
option to only scan playlists.

For me, (10,000 songs on 2Ghz Xp box) the SlimServer is unlistenable
(although menus are usable) during the scan.

I'd recommend setting your automatic rescan interval to 0 (disabled) and
using the rescan plugin to schedule a daily rescan at a time you won't
be using the system.

James