Ikabob wrote:
> I just had an idea that might bring SB owners back into the market
> place. I haven't read all the posts on this thread so someone may have
> alluded to something like this. But, what if SONOS made their devices
> compatible with the  Squeezeboxes. I would be very inclined to buy SONOS
> products to add to my SB ecosystem. It might be a profitable venture for
> SONOS.

Probably not. Even if it was just a software update it would take a team
of 4-6 people including a PM, test, docs etc. You are looking at over
half a million dollars just for 6-months work, and that doesn't include
shipping and marketing, or ongoing maintenance. To open Sonos up to
what maybe an audience of maybe a couple of thousand potential users at
most. Of those users, how many would be additional Sonos and how many?

I certainly wouldn't be prepared to buy into the Sonos eco-system and
would rather spend my money elsewhere. If Sonos were an open platform,
it could be done outside of the Sonos company and licensed as an app, or
supported by add revenue, but then it would have already been done. You
need a business case of 3x the investment minimum to get anything off
the ground just to look at what it might cost. 10x is normal.

and yes, I used to be an Executive Director and architect/designer for
major software orgs...

http://markcathcart.com/about

Running a ReadyNAS NVX LMS Server, currently 7.9.0; Transporter(Living
Room)+Duet Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom),
(2x)Boom(Office, Patio), Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage).
Also using Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Squeeze Ctrl app on Android.