Well, I'm gobsmacked. I gave it a go per Ralphy's excellent guidance and
photos, and despite my not having used a soldering iron for 40 years it
all came together beautifully. A few tips. A bright guy on YouTube (Mr
Carlson's Lab) said to twist the electrolytic capacitors and snap them
off rather than the fiddly job of desoldering. It worked really well,
and I had good access to then clean-up the PCB pads with flux and solder
wick. Then I used the Kemet multilayer ceramic capacitors because they
lie flat and are easy to locate (but look nothing like capacitors).