I'll try... using Softsqueeze 2.2 on 6.2.1-5179 on windows XP.

Browse Artists, for example, works as I'd expect:
"2" -> A.F.I
2-2 -> Bach
5   -> Jake Thackray
7-7 -> Queen        ......etc

Browse Music Folder -> flac [this is a link] -> albums -> (this is my
folder structure) shows me on the display

flac/albums (1 of 110)
Al Stewart

Now:

7  -> Paul McCartney (correct)
6  -> Mariah Carey (correct)
9  -> Whitesnake (correct)
2-2 -> Bananarama (correct)
3-3 -> Eagles (correct)
7   -> Paul Simon (not sure about this.. this is my second "P")
6   -> Matt Bianco (second "M")
9   -> Whitney Houston (second "W")
4   -> Genesis (correct)
7-7-7 -> R.E.M. (correct)
6   -> Men At Work (3rd "M")
3-3 -> Earth Wind and Fire (2nd "E")
4-4-4 -> Incubus (correct)
4-4-4 -> James Taylor (wrong!)
6-6   -> Nik Kershaw (correct)
2-2   -> Beatles (2nd "B")
5-5   -> Nik Kershaw (wrong)

... and so on. You can see it starts correctly, then goes for the Nth
name in the list for the Nth selection of that letter, then gradually
entropy starts to set in.  After a few more of these it gets really
random.

I should add that each of these artist folders has one or more
subdirectories, one per album.  I don't have many instances where there
are enough albums by one artist for this test to be meaningful at the
lower level, but I did try it on one where I have 5 albums and got some
pretty random results right from the start.

HTH.

Ceejay

--
ceejay