In a previous job I had working for a film streaming company, I would
look at streaming sessions with high "buffering" associated with them.
Typically anything over 1%. Our content was restricted via various
methods to clients in the US and Candada.  About once or twice a week I
would see very high buffering problems with one or two sessions.  These
would typically be from IP addresses associated with VPN providers in
the US and had snuck past some restrictions we had in place to comply
with our distribution licensing.

Our client would also report the WAN IP address of the machine it was
running on so we were able to determine that many of these sessions were
coming from United Arab Emirates and various countries in Europe.  But a
surprising high percentage from UAE.

At first, these our of North America streaming sessions were very
infrequent and we just ignored them as if they are going to try to do
this and suffer > 10% buffering, oh well.  After a while it was more
than just a handful and we had to put into place more safeguards.

Tim