I see, I get what you're saying.

While I've spent my adult life in Silicon Valley (and picked up my first
SB3 and a few other purchases at the Slim Devices office in Mountain
View, and also discovered a former colleague working there on one
visit), I'm not an engineer or any other kind of technical person. The
thought of cobbling together a Linux-running device from even
pre-configured components holds no interest for me. None. I wouldn't do
it for myself, much less for someone else's use. As I said, I'll leave
it up to my buddy to decide the approach he wants from the conventional
choices.

I have an old SB3 that I retired from active use some years ago due to
erratic behavior. Maybe it's ready for prime-time again? I'll check it
out and see if it wants to see daylight again.

Thanks for the time to respond.