1. LMS server web UI with Spotty plugin
2. Directly within the Spotify app if I pick my SBoxen under "Devices
Available"
So it's all about the preferred UI and where you want to keep your
Spotify playlists, since tiehr methods allows you to store the playlist
in a different ecosystem... and I assume it's the same for any music
service of choice.

That's correct. No difference in audio data stream path. Only UX.

IMHO 1.) is more robust, better integrated into the overall LMS experience, 2.) is more user friendly when you're used to the Spotify UX (and when it works :-)).

--

Michael