d6jg wrote:
> I agree but also disagree.
>
> It is best to run the server software on a machine that has the
> processing power to do it.
>
> As to where the files reside. A NAS is made for file storage and usually
> has the backup tools built in to make backup painless.
>
> I run LMS on a small but powerful machine with a small SSD that holds
> only the Linux operating system and the LMS installation. The NAS is
> mounted by NFS.
>
> I have changed LMS servers many times over the years but the storage has
> persisted.

I think we are ultimately saying the same thing.  A NAS device is
particularly proficient when used primarily as a network data target for
other machines.  But a NAS is not a server.   All but the most powerful
models can be quickly overwhelmed when running more resource-intensive
server machine applications and services, or forced to host numerous
concurrent services serving many clients and targets.

We also have a NAS, but it used strictly as a backup volume target on
the network for the other machines and the working data volume.  Most
data is pushed to it in a non-priority context where QOS or streaming
interruption considerations do not arise.

Placing working data for a server machine elsewhere on the network does
add additional packet traffic, and creates an additional fault layer
should network buffers fail.  A local working volume also allows a
working drive separate from the machine's boot drive to host
high-bandwidth tasks such as file transcoding, saving a write-limited OS
SSD from unnecessary wear.  A gigabit ethernet connection to a networked
target drive is simply incapable of that luxury.

But I can certainly understand those who do use a NAS as a working data
volume for a server machine elsewhere on the network, as setting up and
maintaining multiple independent arrays and HDDs in a home environment
is rather expensive.