I've got the new Audiophonics PI-SPC II connected with the power button
from the RaspTouch case and after some fiddling, it works - sort of. The
button stops blinking on boot up, and the shutdown handler gets
triggered when there is absolutely no load. As soon as a song is
playing, it takes several minutes (seemingly forever) until the player
gets actually shut down.

What's the best way to debug this?  /usr/local/bin/shutdown-monitor is
running. (I've got a lot of experience with Linux/Unix, but very little
with the RPi eco system. With pCP,, my investigation has been hampered
by the lack of persistent log files.)