Jim Larson Wrote:
> I've finally got my SB2 working (& sounding) great now.  What I'd like
> to do next is to sync the music playing on the SB2 with iTunes (or
> MusicMatch) running on the same PC as slimserver.  Then turn on the
> G-force visualization, run a cable to my big-screen Sony TV, turn down
> the lights, pour up a big glass of Cabernet, and ... instant
> disco/nightclub with synchronized lighting!
>
> Obstacles:
> 1.  I've read here that it is only possible to sync the hardware SB's
> or SoftSqueeze.  I don't see any sync option yet with just iTunes
> playing the slimserver stream.
>
> 2.  Even if I could sync my SB2 with a software player supporting
> PC-based visualizations, there is still the short buffer delay (5-10
> seconds?)
>
> Anyone here tried something like this yet?   Watching the screensaver
> visualizations on the squeezebox display is still pretty cool, but
> watching an in-sync g-force visualization on a big screen TV would be
> amazing.
>
> Jim

A very cool idea.  As you say, it doesn't seem possible to synchronise
the SB or SoftSqueeze with a slimserver stream to make use of an iTunes
visualiser.

To achieve something similar, I synchronised my SB2 with SoftSqueeze,
then using Nicecast, I broadcast the SoftSqueeze audio from a URL.  I
was then able to point iTunes at the URL and use the iTunes
visualisers.

I then connected my PowerBook to the TV.  There is a delay of a second
or so between the audio from iTunes and audio on the SB2 but the
visualisers are so abstract that I didn't think this really matters.
(I obviously muted the audio from the PowerBook and TV when listening
to the SB2)

I think there is a PC application similar to Nicecast which allows you
to broadcast audio from a URL but I can't remember what it is called.

One problem with this method is that because I am using Nicecast to
broadcast the audio, you don't get the track information.

I think a better solution would be some sort of integration between
SoftSqueeze and a visualiser like G-Force.  I see that G-Force already
supports integration with a number of players such as iTunes, Winamp,
Windows Media Player, J River, Foobar and others - I'll post a note on
the 3rd party plug-ins forum to see if anyone knows if work would be
required on G-Force, SoftSqueeze or both.

--
mikerob