To be fair, I think it's only the web UI that the article is
criticising, not the various IOS / Android apps, several of which he
calls out as good.  And he rates some combinations better than Roon
which can't be bad.

Personally, I think the web UI is fine - easy to use and intuitive (well
at least for an old fart like me). I have the left pane maximised with
large artwork and a sort order of artist - year - album (where
appropriate).  I have no artwork showing in the right pane - just the
play list.  Just click on a track in either pane for all the extra info
you might need.  There's extra skins if you're obsessive about
appearance.  What's not to like?

The only real thing I'd like (mentioned in an earlier thread started by
me) is the ability to include "pointers" to non-local music (e.g.
Spotify or Tidal albums) in the library so that LMS effectively
integrates local music and streaming services like Roon.  But Michael
Herger has already said that this would be a significant chunk of work
which, frankly, is unlikely to happen.  And I haven't found a work
around yet apart from putting the Spotty pointer in a Favorites folder
in LMS as a quick way of reminding me about the albums and accessing
them.

The rest of Darko's article is relatively complementary, even though I
don't know if a souped-up Raspberry Pi sounds significantly better into
a decent DAC than the stock SBT digital out.  Darko says "An audio HAT –
like those offered by ALLO, HifiBerry, JustBoom – will see our
Pi-Squeeze comfortably surpass the Squeezebox Touch on sound quality
(with analogue OR digital)."   Let me stress - I haven't heard a Pi+HAT
so have no evidence either way.

Anyway, I think it's nice to see good old SBT and LMS getting some new
and relatively favourable press here in 2019.

Cheers

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it ...-
Server = iMac -> Bootcamp ->  W10 (dBpoweramp ripping / MediaMonkey
management)
Router = Huawei B310 LTE 4G + repeaters
Lounge = SBT -> Devialet D200 -> Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII
Covered terrace = SBT -> AudioEngine A5+
Study = SBT -> NAD D3020 -> Epos K1
Kitchen + bedroom = SB Radio
Garage = SB2 -> Rotel RA820BX2 -> MA252
Storage = SB Boom + SB3 + SlimP3
iOS control = iPeng / SqueezePad; Android = SqueezeCommander;