chill wrote:
> I had a rush of blood to the head and bought a new mesh wifi 3-pack
> during 'Prime Day' (TP-Link Deco M5).  Easy enough to set up, and the
> wifi signal is a little bit stronger than with my old Apple Airport
> Extreme.
>
> I run LMS on a Raspberry Pi 4 running pCP.  I run it wireless - yes, I
> know that's not advised but it has a strong signal and it's been totally
> reliable to date with the Airport Extreme.  It connected ok to the new
> wifi and was happily playing through the attached USB DAC.  But when I
> added in a couple of synced Booms I started to get dropouts - more like
> momentary pauses in fact.  One Boom is on a powerline adapter, and the
> other is next to the new wifi AP with 100% signal strength.  I tried
> turning off the Booms in turn, and concluded that having either one
> synced with the USB DAC caused these glitches.
>
> After tinkering around for an hour or two I decided to give up and put
> the old reliable Airport Extreme back, and here's the odd thing.  The
> glitches then continued, even though the new mesh AP was powered down.
> The only way I could get the system working properly was to restore the
> pCP SD card from last night's back up.
>
> To see whether I was imagining things I repeated the process:
> - working fine with Airport Extreme
> - swapped to mesh AP -> glitches
> - swapped back to Airport Extreme -> still glitches
> - restored SD card from previous image -> glitches gone.
>
> It seems to be related to synchronising players.  My suspicion is it has
> something to do with network latency, and perhaps the faulty or
> unreliable latency information from the mesh AP setup is being
> remembered even when the Airport Extreme is swapped back in.
>
> Can anyone comment on how network latency is measured and implemented?
> Can I tweak any settings to solve this?
>
> My absolute priority is a reliable glitch-free LMS setup, so if I can't
> get round this PDQ then I'm going to send the mesh kit back, since it
> appears to be incompatible with LMS at some level.  I had to turn off
> one of the more useful features anyway (802.11r, which allows for fast
> handover of mobile devices between APs) because the Booms wouldn't
> connect with it enabled.
>
> Has anyone else experienced (and solved) this?

Just a thought, a couple of days ago I was getting momentary dropouts as
you describe, when I was syncing my study player (see sig) and a Boom,
whilst using a Pi4-4GB as LMS server. I have never had this problem
before when using any other flavour of RPi.

I am now back using a Pi3B+ for server and the 2 players sync without
dropouts.

Try using a Pi3/LMS with your Mesh, see if you still get glitches?

The Pi4 is now in my spare Pi box, it was getting up to 80°C.

*Server - LMS 7.9.2 *Pi4B/pCP 6.0.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache
on SSD (ntfs)
*Study -* Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
*Lounge* - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
*Dining Room* - Squeezebox Boom
*Garage* - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

*Spares* - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi