I completely agree about LMS.  It's already extremely versatile, and its
capabilities continue to grow.  Hopefully it has enough critical mass to
continue for a long time to come.

I wonder if Logitech simply saw the writing on the wall regarding the
development of software players, and realised that it would be hard to
make money from Squeezebox hardware when in competition with, say, a
Raspberry Pi feeding a DAC.  'SqueezeESP/SqueezeAMP'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?109838-SqueezeEsp-The-cheaper-squeezebox-in-the-world&p=947589&viewfull=1#post947589)
is yet further proof.  I do admit that it would be nice to be able to
buy 'official' Squeezebox hardware still, say a 'Boom 2' for instance.